Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

Thoughts During 'South Pacific'



  • This current Broadway revival tour is spectacular, the best. I've seen both "South Pacific" movies and several productions of the play, plus "Miss Saigon," which is not, but really is "South Pacific."

  • So beautiful, I began tearing up during the overture. First rule of the stage: Whenever there's a harp in the pit, there's going to be moisture.

  • Rod Gilfrey as Emile makes Robert Goulet sound like Pee-wee Herman.

  • Though, you know, Pee-wee would make an interesting Nellie.

  • The signature song is "Some Enchanted Evening," when two people fall in love. I can appreciate the sentiment, but, for me, some enchanted evening is when two people fall in love and she gives me all her pizza, Cheetos, and Girl Scout Thin Mints.

  • Still thinking about that last one.

  • Interesting that this musical has no title song, like Rodgers and Hammerstein's previous success, "Oklahoma!"

    We know we belong to island
    And island we belong to is grand!
    And when we say
    Yeeow! Kamikazeeeees!
    We're only sayin'
    You're doin' fine, South Pacific!
    South Pacific S. - P -
    A - C - I - F - I - C
    South Pacific!
    Luau!

  • World War II sure had a lot of show tunes. It's hard to imagine killing before the Cha-Cha-Cha accompanied by AK-40s.

  • I have never owned a sailor's cap. I borrowed one once and people mistook me for Speedy Alka-Seltzer.

  • I love the romantic nostalgia of "There Is Nothin' Like a Dame." Nowadays, it would be TiVo.

  • I've always longed to holiday on Bali Ha'i. The closest I ever came was Bally's Vegas. Jack Carter in the Lounge is not a vacation.

  • If I were to "wash that man right outa my hair,"  I'd need:
         a. good conditioner
         b. shower slippers with no-slide bottoms
         c. the strength of eight
         d. spin doctor

  • I, too, am "a cockeyed optimist." Contact lenses reversed again.



    South PacificRodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific (The New Broadway Cast)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...