Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

100 Things About Me #93

"You and me will be the greatest pardners, buddies and pals!"

--"Pardners" (1956)
Today is Jerry Lewis' 81st birthday.

Jerry's been my imaginary friend for half a century and he is my foremost creative influence. It was through his surreal comedy, primarily the films and television of the '50s and '60s, that I was able to form the foundation and inspiration and joy inside whatever it is I am.

Here are three of many Jerry Lewis movie sequences that I find funny, fascinating, instructive, and essential.

In "The Errand Boy" (1961), Jerry plays bumbling flunky Morty S. Tashman (the namesake for my bumbling cat). I've been riding this elevator scene for 46 years.



"The Chairman of the Board" piece, also from "The Errand Boy," is a musical pantomime timed to the last section of Count Basie's "Blues in Hoss' Flat." Lewis is a huge Basie fan and the brassy swing jazz style is an important element throughout Jerry's work. By osmosis, I've long adored Basie, too.



The uproarious hat bit from "The Ladies' Man" (1961) ends this chunk, featuring Buddy Lester and Kathleen Freeman.

If Donna ever leaves me, I would consider marrying the hat scene. I love it that much.

Watch and listen closely. Jerry's cracking up, too.





Previously in This Blog: Jerry Lewis
More: "'The Ladies' Man': Another Movie That Makes Me Laugh" --About.com Humor

100 Things: #1 | Previous | Next
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...