Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

Whiffy Pop

Continued From: "Disney Bites," part of a thread starting with "Cents and Sensibility."


As I selected a package of microwave popcorn off the grocer's shelf, a messenger in a bellhop's cap zipped into my frame of vision, handing me a print-out from the Associated Press.

I tipped him a coupon worth a quarter and he whooshed away.

I read:

"Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading lung research hospital ... [referring] to a potentially fatal disease commonly called popcorn lung that has been the subject of lawsuits by hundreds of workers at food factories exposed to chemicals used for flavoring."


I'd been concerned about the fat and salt content in popcorn, but didn't know of this shocking development. Fortunately, we eat healthy and wise, which means microwaving plain, organic kernels only.

I'm not a fan of the imitation taste, preferring to melt and add three or four tubs of butter to a bowl myself.

Sometimes I'll just munch on a stick of butter and forget popcorn all together.

Continued: "Ear Here"
Related Confessions: "Pop Groin" | "Pop Go the Weasels"
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...