Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

There Is CINERAMA

Being a huge fan of the floor-to-ceiling, deep-curved CINERAMA movie process, I sure hate to miss seeing this rare event at the CINERAMA Dome in Los Angeles.


First off, "Woodstock" is not a CINERAMA presentation and far from one. The bulk of the documentary was shot with hand-held low resolution 16mm cameras.

We showed this movie last month at the Fox in Atlanta. Just like us, the Dome is promising the expanded "Director's Cut."

What does that mean?

More mud.

My favorite of all the CINERAMA productions is "How the West Was Won" (1962) and every effort should be made to catch it in the original 3-strip 35mm process, a thrilling, realistic experience. I did at the Dome in 2003. I think I'm still dusty from the buffalo stampede. I'm certainly winded.

"This Is CINERAMA" (1952) is the debut film in the big screen format. It's a travelogue of sorts, including the most famous CINERAMA sequence, the one with actual, point-of-view rollercoaster footage. I can't open my eyes during the ride. I don't know why I go.


"The Golden Head" (1964) and "Holiday in Spain" (1960) are not true CINERAMA productions, but were acquired by the company from outside sources and shown in limited 70mm releases.

"Holiday in Spain" is also known as "Scent of Mystery," an excruciating, lame picture, starring Denholm Elliott and Peter Lorre. At the New York engagement, it played in Smell-O-Vision with 30 aromas pumped into the auditorium at key moments of the film.

I saw "Scent of Mystery," 20 years ago, perhaps, on MTV. The music station provided scratch-and-sniff cards in lieu of Smell-O-Vision. Via visual cues, we inhaled the corresponding odors. The whole experience had a bad reek and I couldn't dance to it.

Gotta love the original theatrical ad campaign, however, welcoming Smell-O-Vision to the movies:

"First they moved (1895)! Then they talked (1927)! Now they smell!"


Related: "How the West Was Won" Trailer | "CINERAMA Holiday" | "'How the West' Was Run"

Thanks to Rich Greenhalgh
"This Is CINERAMA" photo:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...