Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

I Am Getting 'Drowsy,' Very 'Drowsy'


One of the rewards of subscribing to a Broadway play series is we are exposed to shows we probably would not see otherwise, which would have been the case with the national touring company of "The Drowsy Chaperone."

I'd been vaguely aware of the production, but in order to protect the full experience, my policy is I don't seek out details before I view plays or movies. For example, I didn't discover until show time that "The Drowsy Chaperone" is a musical, the winner of five Tony Awards.

Anyway, I embraced it from the first word. Scene after scene, I felt like I was in a dream state where all of the creative concepts were written specifically for my personal enjoyment. It was amazing to watch the endeavor unfold, a play devised just for Mikey.

Thank you very much.

Curtsy.

Who loves insanely shameless plot devices, synchronized tap dancing, spit takes, Murphy bed gags, and little Ronny Howard in "The Music Man" more than me?

Although the large audience was very enthusiastic for the material, I was the sole out-loud laugher at several bits. I had a great time.

In fact, I loved "The Drowsy Chaperone" so much, Donna and my elaborate network of Starbucks caffeine pushers have agreed to chaperone me several hundred miles to a distant theatre to see another performance before the tour leaves this side of the Milky Way.

And, I am the lead character, Man in Chair. I have that mindset. He is so me.

Well, except for several of his perversions and the sweater.

I'm a much better dresser and pervert.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...