Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

Spanning the Generations


CHARLESTON, South Carolina -- The tops of the older Cooper River bridges are visible on the left side of the photo. The outer two-lane bridge, the original connector of the city to Mount Pleasant, was built in the 1920s.

My mother was a small child residing in Charleston at the time. One Sunday, her grandmother walked the girl to the top of the first arch. That point was the extent of the completed construction. Incredibly, standing at a probable 150 feet into the windy sky, they peered over the bridge's dangerous, temporary edge into the choppy harbor waters below.

When I was a little boy, my grandmother showed me a two-inch curl of cigarette ash dangling from the filter tip on her lip. Daily.

On Sundays, she would let me walk to the village for cartons of Luckies.

I miss her. We were adventure.

Photo copyright 2005 Donna Durrett, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...