Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

The Circle of Life


ISLE OF PALMS, South Carolina -- Mother was born in Charleston, so the city and the nearby islands became our vacation destinations throughout my childhood summers.

The photograph captures the public beach on the Isle of Palms today, where we and my brother's family shared a condo and 168 hours near the pier. The beach has become much more commercial and upscale since the simpler, toddler '50s, when I enjoyed my oceanic debut on the identical spot.

I remember being impressed by our rented-for-an-entire-hour rubber raft, a plastic bucket and shovel, and the hilarious chutzpah of the waves splashing my baby face. Mom said I was like that in '57, too.

The circle of life goes on, indeed. During this visit, my grandniece, one-year-old Madison, entertained her first seaside frolic in the very same surf.

We had successfully coaxed her outside, away from the TV's continuous loop of "The Lion King," which commanded her hallucinogenic attention and silence. Good film, but after listening to "The Lion King" soundtrack's relentless reverberations for a week, I do believe I'm ready to open on Broadway.

Why, I can see my press notices through these wavy lines.... Do I hear a harp? ... I do. I do hear a harp....

"Mike Durrett is the toast of the town, burnt and missing raisins!"

"Mr. Durrett brings new meaning to warthogs -- and, dare we say, warts!"

"Move over Wal-Mart, your small town fat-ass graces our crap now!"

"Love is in the air, say the walk-outs pounding the exits!"

"Disney's 'The Lion King' was never like this before! Mike Durrett would make Max Bialystock proud, but he's supposed to be portraying Pumbaa, not Swedish Ulla."

"Mike Durrett is the most powerful force to hit Broadway since Somnatrol™, Ambiatol™, Somnulin™, Nite-Rite™, Dromias ™, Schiff Knockout Formula™, Doctor's Trust Fall Asleep™, Boericke & Tafel Insomnia Chewable™, Simply Sleep Nighttime Sleep Aid™, and Sominex™! Good night!"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...