Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

"NG KO"

We were force-seated no more than 15 feet from the giant wall-to-wall screen, looming nearly two stories above our tilted way back faces. The opening title lettering sprawled across the moving picture.

"NG KO?" I asked out loud. "We're seeing 'NG KO?'"

Donna elbowed me in the ribs, pointing off to the perpendicular left. I turned my head around to look.

"KING KO?" I asked out loud. "We're seeing a copy center commercial?"

Donna elbowed me in the ribs, suddenly a bit tender for some reason. She pointed off to our perpendicular right. I turned my head around to look.

"KING KONG?" I asked out loud. "We're seeing 'KING KONG?' Shouldn't that read "PING PONG?' Why do I feel like I'm at Wimbledon?"

We spent the next three hours moving our eyes and heads in frantic desperation to follow the action. We were like cats watching a hyper moth, up, down, and all around.

I must say, sitting too close to the fuzzy, out-of-focus film, I observed several items I might not have otherwise noticed.

1. In the 1930s, during The Great Depression, many poor people wore expensive, not-yet-invented contact lenses.

2. Jack Black has a close-up with a goo bubble visible in his nostril. Considering the film's $200 million budget, I couldn't determine if it was real or computer-generated.

3. 25-foot tall apes have mites the size of the head of Wink Martindale.

4. Kong is not anatomically correct. He has no penis. Nothing. Not even a stack of IHOP Harvest Grain 'N Nut® Pancakes. Hearty grains, wholesome oats, almonds and English walnuts with your choice of cool strawberry, warm blueberry or warm cinnamon-apple topping and whipped topping, plus the Never Empty Coffee Pot®. Nothing.

The sound was excellent. I heard vivid roars and screams. But, those might have been in-the-dark shenanigans with Security's electric wand.

At the end of the night, "King Kong" appeared to be a remarkable film.

I wish I had seen it.

Unfortunately, our hosts had ruined what should have been a wonderful moviegoing experience.

It was beasts that killed the beauty.


Previous | Beginning

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...