Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

House of Many Steps


The Durrett Lair and Dollar Store Museum


That's my silhouette in the bedroom window, pushing Mother Bates in her rocker.

This wide-angle photo is courtesy of neighbors Jim and Sally, who, I'm told, refer to our place as "House of Many Steps."

The nickname sounds a bit Oriental to me. There is a very long flight of stairs, although largely hidden by trees in the snapshot. The rungs descend to the creek shore from the cabin. I assume that's where "House of Many Steps" is derived, owing nothing to my skeltered roamings in the kimono or the ritual bows I direct at chipmunks.

Years ago, my friend Jeb counted the steps. His grand total was 88, causing him to suggest I paint the boards black and white in the alternating pattern of piano keys.

So far, that hasn't happened. Neither me nor the hill is musically inclined.


Photo ©2007 Jim & Sally Smelcer
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...