Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

I Heard It Through the Tape, Mime


Paramount sent me this photo from "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa." The image appears to have been taken inside a tattered airplane, but it's also my dream home theatre, mostly due to the animals and 10-minute movie reels.

Oddly enough, the setting reminds me of one horrible day during the summer following high school.

Because of a personnel emergency, my projectionist union sent me to run the far-beyond tacky flicks at the Houston Street Art Cinema in Atlanta. I was recently 18 and scared to death to be downtown in a dive, but I was working my way to college. This place would prove to be more educational than Biology Lab.

The theatre was an old, greasy automobile garage that had been converted into a makeshift auditorium. They specialized in naughty 16mm silent films for gentlemen, cough cough, and their (where applicable) guests, hack hack cough hack shudder.


To placate these discerning audiences, I was instructed to feed an audio cassette of Burt Bacharach's "The Look of Love" album repeatedly through the speaker system, so the overcoat crowd would be dazzled and mood-enhanced by the miracle of sound.

"I can hardly wait to hold you, feel my arms around you, how long I have waited..."

Show business.

Classy.

Thank goodness it wasn't "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head."



With apologies to Mr. Bacharach and, of course, B.J. Thomas.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...