Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

Enough Already


I know everyone means well, but knock it off. Stop the ageism. Stop treating me like I'm ancient.

It all started around the time I turned 40. People would occasionally refer to me as "sir." I never heard that earlier.

"Have a nice day, sir," or "Would you like fries with that, sir, maybe oxygen?"

Then, when I hit 50, the "sirs" became non-stop. It's a given I'm going to be called "sir" anytime I venture out of the house, excepting those flatter moments when I'm called "ma'am."

"Yes, ma'am, complimentary pap smear?"

I've been dubbed "ma'am" while sporting a five-day stubble. I have a very heavy growth, not one of those wimpy girly beards.

What the hell is that about? I don't act like a woman. My wife tells me she's bewildered over these comments, too: "No comprendo, Noah, sir."

"Cute, Gidget."

So, yesterday contained a landmark event. I was checking out of the supermarket and the cashier said, as she finished loading my shopping cart, "Would you like help with this?"

"Sir," I added.

"Wasn't sure 'tweren't 'ma'am.' Yessir, would you like help with this, sir?"

"No, thanks," I said faux cheery, yet I was crestfallen. Help with unsweetened tea, four yogurts (assortment), and Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness?

HELP?

And there I was athletically sneakered.

Bouncy even.

I may be aging on the outside, but I'm still my mischievous, energetic, tot-like self on the inside.

I don't shuffle along.

I don't hum the theme from "Barnaby Jones" or hover thought balloons chocked full of Buddy Ebsen.

I don't bark Bingo numbers in a seersucker Matlock blazer, or collect and swap tales of Melba toasts, or drool much.

If a breeze blows by, cumulus dust clouds shan't emanate from me as I teeter over.

I go minutes without a cobweb.

(Full disclosure: An impure thought of Angela Lansbury in 1973. One.)

I transferred the bag of groceries to the backseat of my automobile.

A ma'am, who looked old enough to be my deceased grandmother and her mallard, approached. She offered assistance, inquiring, "Would you like me to take your buggy, sir?"

"Yes, thank you," I graciously accepted, bestowing my empty cart, which rolled and pulled her to the collection rack a few spaces down the parking asphalt.

I drove home. That was hours ago. She may have wobbled back to her vehicle by now.

I made my way to the bathroom and stared into the mirror.

"Here's looking bifocally at you, kid," I said, syrupy.

Mort, the cat, leaped onto the countertop. He swiveled his head to face mine and spoke, "Methuselah-ow."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...