Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

100 Things About Me #127

Continued From: "100 Things About Me #126," part of the "Back to School" sequence

Eyewitness
Revisiting familiar sixth grade surroundings at Fernbank School brought back a torrent of memories, even the doodles.

My friends were accomplished pencil-and-paper artists. I was not, although I tried. We drew silly creatures to make each other laugh. We called our work "Crazy Collegiate Cartoons for Kids."

There was no money in it.

We decided each of us should have trademark character insignias.

©1964-2007 Mike Durrett
Why?

Who knows, but it seemed like a brilliant idea. I created this one, comprised of the few simple elements I could draw.

(At this point in my life, I was in an artistic rut. Whenever I sketched, I always defaulted to "a house on a hill" composition. My stock hill is right there in front of you. I am very pleased with myself that I resisted using my stock house and turning it into a jaunty hat.)

I've always imagined this fella as a space alien (legal), however most observers see him as a toadstool, a thumb, or a Fudgsicle (white chocolate).

He's got hands, except they're only apparent when he's inserting a contact lens the size of a Frisbee.

He has 20 vision.

I've seen variations of my figure materialize elsewhere, including the popular "Monsters, Inc." movie, but mine predates Pixar's animation geniuses by 37 years.

And don't think I haven't noticed their character is named Mike, too.


100 Things: #1 | Previous | Next
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...