Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

Mountain Greenery

This morning, on a whim, I found myself undertaking a lengthy automobile excursion through the lovely springtime vistas adorning our mammoth hills. Many miles down the highway, I realized I was near my brother-in-law's place. I dropped by for a visit, but Bryan was not to be found.

He's blessed with some beautiful wilderness acreage, far away from the nearest community. My orbs swept a wide view from his porch, halting abruptly, intrigued by what they saw under the blazing sun. There was something new, a freshly plowed and planted field carved out of the forest.


"This is the biggest garden I have ever seen," I said to myself, as I took a long, meandering walk through the newborn sprouts. "I should have packed a lunch."

I couldn't decide what was growing underneath me. I knelt down for closer inspection.

"Some sort of beans or peas, I can't say," I said to myself because I was alone and speaking it out loud would have been something I couldn't allow myself to do. Sanity 101.

"These are the oddest little pods, very odd. I should have packed a lunch."

I couldn't put my finger on what was puzzling me, but I knew with the recent rains, those pods were going to be robust and soon.

I drove home with an uneasy feeling. Inexplicably, for the first time in months, I had the urge to listen to my iPod. I fetched it from the glove compartment, while exhaling a vigorous yawn. The music was nice. Olivia Newton-John whispered a lullaby.

Arriving back at the house, I changed out of my good t-shirt into something less formal. It was time for an afternoon nap, but suddenly I was curious, wondering what was on the tube. I knelt down for the second time this day, punched the power button, and waited for an image to fade onto the screen.


Who wants coffee?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...