Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

Paper Loon

Continued From: "The Making of '100 Things About Me #107,'" part of a thread beginning with "I Lost My Heart in a Drive-In Movie"

I know there's a massive click-in to this site with everyone rabid to discover the latest scoops on an increasingly obscure movie released 43 years ago.

Thank you. Welcome. I aim to please.

Actually, I need to get this "Patsy" topic out of my system, so just pretend I'm on vacation this week. Eat a hotdog, Freddie.

Hollywood movie advertising campaigns do not necessarily travel the globe intact. Foreign distributors cut-and-paste or rework the content to meet the demands of the marketplace.

"The Patsy's" original 1964 American poster art (above) is rendered much the same in the French concept (below left).


Alas, the huge asterisk was laid off. Maybe there's no synonym for "patsy" in the language.

That, or, the French sniff at effete notes.

Jerry Lewis was immensely popular with international audiences. The comedian's allure extended far beyond France. His name would often be branded into the titles of his films, fueling public awareness and box office receipts. French and Belgium (poster above right) audiences know "The Patsy" as "Jerry Souffre-Douleur," translated via AltaVista as "Jerry Suffer-Pain," a phrase at odds with anything in the movie.

The bold words printed at the bottom of one poster, "Jerry de Zondebok," mean "Jerry the Scapegoat."


Finland ("Jerry Genius Stalemate") and Sweden ("Sprattelgubben"*) also publicized the picture using variations on the American visuals, except for those rebellious Technicolor socks.

Next: "The Patsy" Meets The Beatles

*
What "Sprattelgubben" means in English, I dunno.

"Sprattelgubben." That's the sound I make when I conk out at pancake diners while chug-a-lugging carafes of butter pecan syrup.

I dassn't repeat the sound I make peeling my back flesh from the sticky linoleum.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...