Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

100 Things About Me #117

Fame on Highway 280
People often ask if I'd like to see my name in lights. The answer is I already have, back in man's golden broadcasting era.

One morning at 5:58, as usual, I screeched the car onto the radio station lot to go do the wake-up show. To my surprise, the bright fluorescent billboard sign on the busy four-lane's curb displayed:

MIKE DURRETT
6-9 AM
FUNNIER THAN RUTH KENT

This particular signage was a prank meant to amuse me and it did. I overshot the parking space and trenched tire marks into the lawn, laughing myself awake.

Ms. Kent was a mostly forgotten Atlanta TV host of the '50s and '60s, whose smarmy, numbing chatter on her "Today in Georgia" program ran the gamut between fast-breaking fritter recipes and aging debutante belles on grits.

So, I did indeed see my name in lights. What I yearn to see is my name in crackers.



100 Things: #1 | Previous | Next
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...