Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

'Around the World,' Around Back

You may have noticed this remark in my Twitter meanderings

Tonight, I will be going around the world in 80 days. And because I am a time traveler, I will be doing it in 1956 in 3 hours and 2 minutes.

Around the World in 80 Days (1956 film)Image via Wikipedia
A reference to Michael Todd's 1956 Oscar-winning Best Picture, "Around the World in Eighty Days."

To be precise, in 182 minutes.

Indeed, I did embark on the cinematic tour for the third time since the late '60s' 70mm big screen re-release. I was quite pleased to revisit my favorite sequence of the epic production: the end credits. Designed by the influential graphics artist Saul Bass and scored with Victor Young's Academy Awarded music, the animated footage clocks in at six minutes, the length of an entire theatrical cartoon of its day

Movie Title Stills Collection, a fine resource, adds:

The closing credits Saul Bass created for "Around the World in Eighty Days" were the longest and most expensive credits ever made, at the time. They cost $65,000. Every frame of the title sequence was handmade.

Watch closely, the main titles video below, as the travel itinerary and plot of the film are recapped, along with the appearance points of the multitude of stars on view during the live-action portion of the journey.

Go ahead and roll it. Learn "'Who Was Seen in What Scene ... And Who Did What."

I'll take my Dramamine, grab the luggage, get a body search, and join you....



"Around the World in Eighty Days" Title Sequence via YouTube

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...