Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

Am I Boo?

Continued From: "Am I Blu?"

Next, indeed, "Rat Pfink a Boo Boo."

There I was with a sweet new Blu-ray high definition entertainment paradise at my fingertips and nothing to watch on it. Then, along came this obscure 1966 movie I'd been curious to view for 42 years. I dropped everything to go gawk.


Can't see the trailer? Try here.

"Rat Pfink a Boo Boo" is definitely not Blu-ray. It's more Phew-Ray, thanks to writer-director Ray Dennis Steckler.

According to Internet Movie Database:

"Steckler attempted to make a straight crime drama. After approximately 40 minutes of footage was shot, he decided that the film was simply not working. Since he could not afford to ... scrap the footage, and since portions of the film were unintentionally funny, [Steckler] had two of the characters go into a room and then burst forth in makeshift costumes as Rat Pfink and Boo Boo (an ersatz Batman and Robin). [Steckler] padded out the rest of the film with shots of the pair in chase scenes, fight scenes and even an encounter with a gorilla named Kogar (Bob Burns in a gorilla suit). He ... had footage of the duo appearing in a genuine parade as if it were being held in their honor."

And those are the high points.

"Rat Pfink a Boo Boo" was, perhaps, the longest 66 minutes of my life. If you should learn you have only an hour to live, see "Rat Pfink a Boo Boo." You'll feel like it won't ever end.

Boredom has never been so fascinating. I couldn't help but like the film and dread its continuation and curse its existence.

The published running time is 72 minutes, but the version I watched clocked in six minutes less in length. Ordinarily, I'd be irate, hollering about such an injustice. I lit a candle and knelt for a prayer of thanks.

"The final disaster came when the main title was being animated and the 'n' and 'd' were left out so the title appears as 'Rat Pfink a Boo Boo.'"

How does anyone miss a typo in the word "and"? It's printed in large block letters! (Screenshot pictured above.)

I guess I could be overcritical. Who doesn't get exhausted after proofreading two entire words?

Say, what's going on here? I spot another typo on the DVD packaging, spelling "Phink," instead of "Pfink."

What a catastrophe. Why, this is a job for Rat Pfink and Boo Boo!

Rat Pfink: Remember, Boo Boo, we only have one weakness.

Boo Boo: What's that, Rat Pfink?

Rat Pfink: Bullets!

[Music stinger!]
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...