Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

My Night With Elvis: Kitten With a Dip

The Starlight Drive-In Theatre marquee on Elvis Presley Mondo Movie Night. Bug spots on vehicle window glass, not the sign. Photo copyright 2004 Mike Durrett, all rights reserved.ATLANTA, GA -- It happened at the Starlight Drive-in.

I had been looking forward to Elvis Presley Mondo Movie Night at the theatre for months, salivating over the prospect. A 40th anniversary presentation of "Viva Las Vegas," his popular musical comedy with Ann-Margret, plus the bopping "Jailhouse Rock" (1957) were to unspool across the big screen.

As we turned onto the property, I couldn't help but notice the Starlight's enormous marquee. It listed "Jailhouse" as two words and "Supremecy" is not correct. "Skeleton" appeared as "Skel Ton" and "Kumar" as "Kuma." I love this place, but, I am sorry, I had to deduct 8 points for spelling.

We arrived early to secure a good spot and set up our intricate array of lawn chairs and bug bombs.

My wife sorted through smuggled snacks, while I shook two ballooning Jiffy Pop pans vigorously atop the scalding van engine.

Since we parked up front and scores of entertainment starved patrons were already gawking our way in anticipation of showtime, Donna and I decided to entertain the troops with our "Tribute to Elvis!" featuring the "Roustabout Ballet."

Due to the realities of an impromptu rendition, there would be no Harum Scarum Strings at this show, nor the usual "Special Appearance by Barbara Stanwyck's Mean Broad Disposition and Cosmetics Trowel."

Our chauffeur, Stan, made an announcement to that effect before we took the "stage," adding, "Ladies and gentlemen, for the safety of the performers, please, no flash photography or igniting of the Hawaiian skirts."

Mike and Donna Durrett perform their famous Ann-Margret Sex Kitten Dance for an adoring crowd. Photo copyright 2004 Mike Durrett, all rights reserved.
Mike and Donna Durrett perform close-up among shouts, cheers, and tossed posies. Photo copyright 2004 Mike Durrett, all rights reserved.

That is, of course, us doing our patented Ann-Margret Sex Kitten Dance for the enthusiastic fans and elderly Stella Stevens look-alikes and their jalopies.

We, of course, dedicated our tribute to Hurricane Charley relief efforts -- and, of course, to character actor William Demarest.

It was a theme night. He, of course, is TV's Uncle Charlie.

Demarest also plays, of course, Ann-Margret's father in "Viva Las Vegas."

I bought it. They both have the same nose.

And, of course, those fantabulous legs.

Mike shows the Pouty Elvis Lip Snarl of the young man in love. Photo copyright 2004 Mike Durrett, all rights reserved.
Mike shows the Pouty Elvis Lip Snarl leading to fisticuffs. Photo copyright 2004 Mike Durrett, all rights reserved.
Mike shows the Pouty Elvis Lip Snarl of a man in need of another bowl of bacon. Photo copyright 2004 Mike Durrett, all rights reserved.

That's me doing my patented Pouty Elvis Lip Snarl, a sampling of the many nuances. There are nine others, however I need my conductor for the musical cues.

City of Atlanta fire laws and riot control procedures demanded, of course, that I be photographed from the chest up. I was agreeable since we didn't bring a wide angle lens.

Just like Elvis ... Notice the cool me wearing the collar up on my shirt, connecting with the crowd....

Mike Durrett wears his collar up to show the youngsters how Elvis Presley changed American style. Photo copyright 2004 Mike Durrett, all rights reserved.

Next: My Night With Elvis: Clamfake? | My Night With Elvis: Swallow That Dream | My Night With Elvis: Paradise, Drive-In Style
Photos copyright ©2004 Mike Durrett. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...