Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

Okeydokey, 'Oklahoma!'

I love "Oklahoma!" Of the numerous bright moments in the movie and stage play, this is my favorite:



"Oklahoma!": "The Surrey With the Fringe on Top (Reprise)" (1955) via YouTube

Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II's transformative 1943 Broadway musical world-premiered its motion picture incarnation at the Rivoli in New York on Oct. 11, 1955.

I, however, had to wait until the 1963 re-release to see the film. I hate to enter in the middle. It took awhile to first catch up with "Alabama!" through "Ohio!"

All were surprisingly bald on show tunes.

And, to be honest, Rodgers and Hammerstein's "American Samoa!" stunk.

I had thought, erroneously, there would be roasted marshmallows and chocolate succulences between parallel graham crackers.

"Oklahoma!" made up for everything. The title song is one of my earliest memories, from around age 3. I'd hear it on television and the radio. Long before I knew what "stirring" meant, I was stirred.



"Oklahoma!": "Oklahoma!" (1955) via YouTube

And I keep coming back for s'more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...