Mike Durrett: CONFIDENTIAL

100 Things About Me

#28

Walking Out on Walt
I am ironclad frugal.

For example, Disney Home Video released one of the quintessential film masterpieces, "Bambi" (1942), in its DVD debut. I already owned a very good laserdisc version which I purchased for $35-$40. Considering I've watched the print once, replacement would not be cost effective.

Case closed.

Then, I read where the studio put "Bambi" through a lengthy and vigorous digital restoration, recapturing the movie's original colors, and improving the visual clarity and sound quality to levels intended by the creative team, although never achieved due to the technical limitations of the past. The DVD packaging boasts that the picture looks better than ever in this new transfer, a two-disc Special Edition.

Thank you. I'd love to have it, but case closed.

Later, I learned the "Bambi" DVD includes deleted sequences, behind-the-scenes documentation, games, and other tantalizing extras.

Case closed. Perhaps, I'll buy something else, maybe some food or a new kitchen sink sponge. No DVDs. Nope. No, no. And, no.

Soon, I just happened to find myself in a media store, standing next to a large "Bambi" display. That DVD packaging was enticing, down to the handsome pink butterfly resting on Bambi's nose. I had made up my mind and when I save money, I don't turn back. The $29.99 list price was $29.99 destined to remain in my pocket.

I walked away, momentarily pausing to look over my shoulder to gloat at the shrinking "Bambi" discs left behind in my ambling dust. I couldn't help noticing the sale price was posted at $15.99, nearly a 50% discount.

Case closed. I'm moving on. Now, where did I park my car?

Increasing my pace towards the front door, I reached into my pocket and rattled my keys. I zipped up my jacket, bracing for the windy chill outside.

"Attention, shoppers," intoned the blaring public address system. "In our video department, Walt Disney's 'Bambi' is the special today."

I extended my right arm. My palm made contact with the glass door. Nice breeze.

"Buy the DVD and get a free plush Thumper--"

Mike Durrett and the magic of a free plush Thumper.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...